Thursday, March 22, 2012

Do you really want God or are you just religious?

I was talking to a co-worker the other day about the difference between religion and a relationship with God. This particular person used to say I was religious because he knows I go to church and love the Lord - but I would always tell him that I'm actually not "religious", I just have an awesome relationship with the Lord. I explained to Him that I don't go to church because I feel like I have to; I go because I truly want to. See, religion makes one feel obligated to perform, and many reject the idea of feeling controlled or obligated to do anything. I believe this is what turns a lot of non-believers, and hey possibly even some "believers" off.

Now don't misunderstand me: I believe in living our lives according to God's word. I believe in holiness. And of course I believe that we should go to church. But are we really giving our best to the Lord if we are only doing these things out of a sense of duty? Or can we agree that just as we wouldn't want anyone to do anything for us because they felt they had to - God doesn't either? And just as we want to be loved by people who just want to love us, be with us, treat us right, show us kindness and honor...I believe that is also our father's desire.

Religion? Relationship? Huge difference.

Let's break free from any sense of duty and begin to work on our relationship with God, because we truly love and appreciate Him and because we really want to be with Him. So again I ask - is your heart REALLY in it???

*** NOTE: To receive email alerts on hot new blog posts and all our exciting events, click this link to sign up now... http://eepurl.com/iFvIX

No comments:

Post a Comment